Author Interviews

* you can find the original interviews and much more on my 'everything writing' blog (http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com), including author spotlights, guest posts, book reviews, flash fiction or poetry - new items posted 6am UK time Monday to Saturday and writing exercises at 6pm very weekday.

Monday, 15 April 2013

Author interview with poet Peirson Lane (revisited)


Back in February 2013, I interviewed author Peirson Lane for my interview-only WordPress blog. I hope you enjoy it...
Welcome to my blog interviews with novelists, poets, short story authors, scriptwriters, biographers, agents, publishers and more. Today’s is with poet Peirson Lane. A list of interviewees (blogged and scheduled) can be found here. If you like what you read, please do go and investigate further.
Morgen: Hello, Peirson. Please tell us something about yourself, where you’re based, and how you came to be a writer.
PeirsonPeirson: Hi. My name is Peirson Lane and I live in Swansboro, North Carolina, USA.  I came to writing when things in life starting falling apart. It gave me a way to express my feelings and my hold on faith.
Morgen: Writing can be incredibly therapeutic. What genre do you generally write and have you considered other genres?
Peirson: I write poetry of love, faith and family only.
Morgen: What have you had published to-date?
Peirson coverPeirson: Life's Journey Volume 1 has been published by Publish America and I have four other volumes ready to go.
Morgen: Did you choose the titles / covers of your books?
Peirson: My titles come from the heart and will never change.
Morgen: What are you working on at the moment / next?
Peirson: Life’s Journey volume 4 and Faith volume 1.
Morgen: Do you manage to write every day? And when you write, do they just come to you?
Peirson: Yes, I write everyday be it new or editing. My poems pop into my mind from an external trigger and I quickly write it down for later editing.
Morgen: Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
Peirson: Yes, I edit my own work.
Morgen: Do you have to do much research?
Peirson: None
Morgen: It must be easier when you write about what you know. What point of view do you find most to your liking: first person or third person? Have you ever tried second person?
Peirson: I use all three.
Morgen: Do you have pieces of work that you think will never see light of day?
Peirson: None.
Morgen: Excellent. Have you had any rejections? If so, how do you deal with them?
Peirson: Yes, I have been rejected or the publisher wants a lot of money to publish but I just keep going.
Morgen: Do you enter competitions?
Peirson: No, they all have fees and an unpublished author doesn’t have the money to spend.
Morgen: That’s often the way. What’s your favourite / least favourite aspect of your writing life? Has anything surprised you?
Peirson: My best is the inspiration I receive from everyday life; my worst is trying to get them published. My surprise was how they came on so easily.
Morgen: What advice would you give aspiring writers?
Peirson: To write from your heart and never give up.
Morgen: Absolutely. If you could invite three people from any era to dinner, who would you choose and what would you cook (or hide the takeaway containers)?
Peirson: Abraham Lincoln, Leonardo DaVinci, and of course Jesus Christ. I would have a buffet of wild game, Italian items and fish and bread.
Morgen: I wonder what Lincoln would have thought about the film about him. If you had to choose a single day from your past to re-live over and over, what day would it be and why?
Peirson: One cannot dwell on the past they have to move on.
Morgen: Is there a word, phrase or quote you like?
Peirson: Faith.
Morgen: What do you do when you’re not writing?
Peirson: Gardening.
Morgen: Me too although mine’s dreadfully abandoned at the moment (she says, looking out her office window). What do you think the future holds for a writer?
Peirson: It is always there, just stay positive.
Morgen: How a writer needs to be. Thank you, Peirson.
I then invited Peirson to include samples of his writing…
The Life Run
You go through life at a hundred miles an hour,
Then suddenly you stop and reflect….
You realize it was a good life,
With growth, nurturing and love surrounding you.
You see that life was wonderful no matter how much or little you had…..
He takes care of you as long as you believe,
But even when you lose faith He makes your life fruitful….
And He never leaves your side.
Loves Eyes
As night falls your ship is guided by the stars,
Reflections in the water remind you of angels sent to protect you from the dark unknown.
That is like love...
You are unaware of the unknown and follow blindly through the darkness,
But the love you see guides you through and takes you to safety.
And she ensures you that the sun will shine once again.
Second Time
They say love is sweeter the second time around,
However it is one’s view of it…..
Things may work…
Or, they may not.
But through the course of time one learns to open their heart to it.
One lives and learns…
But that is what He wants you to do,
And rejoice in the experience…
That experience is called love.
The Cliff
You meet someone once in a lifetime, who steals your heart,
They take your breath away just like standing on the edge of a cliff,
They warm your heart and soul as the sunshine warms the flowers and you bask in the warmth.
You reach for this person but they are like the wind,
They slip through your fingers as they come and go.
And then the sun sets and flowers fade,
But you look back….
And then you feel how fortunate you were to have it come into your life.
Day of Love
Love is like a rose….
It is beautiful and brings joy,
But during the winter the petals brown and fade.
But with care one can protect them….
And in spring they will flower again and the beauty is restored.
You wake as the sun rises and fills the earth with glory,
You bask in the morning calm and glow,
The sun gets higher and higher and turns warmer from the tribulations of love.
You try to shield yourself from the heat….
But you know you have to make it through.
Later the sun sets and all you see is the beauty and feel the slight breeze,
It is calming….
That is love…
Morn is the beginning, the mid is the tough times and the end is…
Knowing you had the faith to get you through.
***
If you are reading this and you write, in whatever genre, and are thinking “ooh, I’d like to do this” then you can… just email me and I’ll send you the information. They do now (January 2013) carry a fee (£10 / €12.50 / $15) for the new interviews on the mixed blog but everything else (see Opportunities on the main blog) is free.
Alternatively, if you’d like a free Q&A-only interview, I now have this blog, http://morgensauthorinterviews.wordpress.com, on which I’ve rerun the original interviews posted here then posted new interviews which I then reblog here. These interviews are Q&A only, so I don’t add in my comments but they do get exposure on both sites.
If you go for the interview, it’s very simple; I send you a questionnaire (I have them for novelists, short story authors, children’s authors, non-fiction authors, and poets). You complete the questions, and I let you know when it’s going to go live. Before it does so, I add in comments as if we’re chatting, and then they get posted. When that’s done, I email you with the link so you can share it with your corner of the literary world. And if you have a writing-related blog / podcast and would like to interview me… let me know.
** NEW!! You can now subscribe to the main blog on your Kindle / Kindle app!
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything. You can contact me and find me on the internetview my Books (including my debut novel, which is serialised on Novel Nights In!) and I also have a blog creation / maintenance service especially for, but not limited to, writers. If you like this blog, you can help me keep it running by donating and choose an optional free eBook.
For writers / readers willing to give feedback and / or writers wanting feedback, take a look at the main blog’s Feedback page.
As I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t unfortunately review books but I have a list of those who do. I welcome items for critique for the online writing groups, and their associated Facebook groups, listed below:
Morgen’s Online Non-Fiction Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Novel Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Poetry Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Script Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Short Story Writing Group
We look forward to reading your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this interview and leaving a comment - we are all very grateful.