Author Interviews

* you can find the original interviews and much more on my 'everything writing' blog (http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com), including author spotlights, guest posts, book reviews, flash fiction or poetry - new items posted 6am UK time Monday to Saturday and writing exercises at 6pm very weekday.

Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Author interview no.653 with Jessica Grace Coleman (revisited)


Back in February 2013, I interviewed author Jessica Grace Coleman for my mixed WordPress blog. I hope you enjoy it...
Welcome to the six hundred and fifty-third of my blog interviews with novelists, poets, short story authors, biographers, agents, publishers and more. Today’s is with horror novelist and short story author Jessica Grace Coleman. A list of interviewees (blogged and scheduled) can be found here. If you like what you read, please do go and investigate further.
Morgen: Hello, Jessica. Please tell us something about yourself, where you’re based, and how you came to be a writer.
JessicaJessica: I’m from a small village near Stafford in the Midlands, UK, a village that actually became the inspiration for my ‘Little Forest’ series of novels. I’ve always loved reading and writing, and a couple of years ago I started planning the ‘world’ where I wanted to set my first novel (which later became a series). Ever since, I’ve been writing in between working various random admin jobs and in between travelling around North America, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. I also run an online music zine, http://www.rockpulse.co.uk, which has been going for nearly ten years now, and which has enabled me to combine my love of music with my love of writing.
Morgen: Sounds like a combination of my brother and I; I was in admin (a secretary) while he did the travelling. :) What genre do you generally write and have you considered other genres?
Jessica: My go-to genre when I start thinking about writing is horror. My Dad is a big Stephen King fan and that filtered down to me as I was growing up; there were always King novels lying around the house. My first instinct is always to write something that will frighten people, because I think there’s a real art to horror writing; you can’t rely on visual ‘jumps’ like you can in horror movies. Short stories I write are generally written in the horror genre. With regards to my novels, I tend to take typically ‘scary’ situations as starting points – murder, the dead, spirits, the afterlife – but then add other elements to it as well: there’s humour in my books, drama, paranormal aspects, as well as a kind of detective / whodunit element woven in too. I enjoy writing horror, but I enjoy it more when I can make the horror grow organically out of normal, real-life situations and environments. I would definitely consider writing other genres, especially with regards to short stories, as they’re a good way of challenging yourself with new subjects and genres.
Morgen: I loved Stephen King in my teens and blame him for me wearing glasses (under the duvet with a torch!). What have you had published to-date? Do you write under a pseudonym?
The Former World smallJessica: I’m currently working on my Little Forest series of novels, of which I have about eight books planned. The first is ‘The Former World’, the second ‘Memento Mori’ and the third ‘The Exalted’. They all very much run on from each other and have storylines that are intertwined throughout. New characters pop up all the time, but all of the books are based on a few main characters, which hopefully makes people want to read the whole series once they’ve read the first one and become interested in their lives and what happens next. I prefer reading series myself, as I always want to know what happened to the characters after I’ve finished a stand-alone novel; I always want more. I tend to go by the name ‘Jess Coleman’ in my everyday life, but publish under my full name, ‘Jessica Grace Coleman’ – it’s useful to be able to distinguish between ‘me’ and ‘me, the writer’.
Morgen: :) You’ve self-published? What lead to you going your own way?
Jessica: Yes, I self-publish all of my books on Amazon as eBooks and paperbacks (using the Amazon-linked site Create Space). After having read up (a lot!) on agents, publishers, submitting manuscripts, and the whole process of the traditional publishing route, I decided to do things my way. There are obviously downsides to self-publishing: you’re not going to get the exposure and marketing you would get if you were being published traditionally, for one thing, but there also big advantages. You, the author, get to be in control of everything. You can choose who does your editing (my editor is my friend from University who now lives in Australia, Vicki Marshall, and we do all our correspondence via email), you can do your own covers or choose who to hire to do them for you, you have complete creative control. This is important because this way, my books always turn out exactly as I envisioned them; I don’t have anyone telling me how to market it, when it can be released, how many print runs will be done, etc. I love that I can write a book, put it on Amazon, and 12 hours later, have people buying it. It’s great to get feedback as well and communicate with your readers in a way that might not be possible if you go down the traditional route. It’s all much more personal, and I don’t have to sell a certain number of copies of one book in order for me to be able to write the next in the series, or the book after that, or a whole new series. I can write as much as I want, and publish as much as I want.
Morgen: That’s what I love about being a writer today; direct contact with potential readers / other writers (who are often the same thing!). Are all your books available as eBooks? How involved were you in that process? Do you read eBooks or is it paper all the way?
Jessica: My novels are available primarily as eBooks through Amazon, although I also offer paperback versions. I have a kindle and I love how easy it makes the whole reading process: you can take it anywhere, you can store an insanely large amount of books on it, and I find I read a lot faster when using my kindle. I still love actual books, and I think they’ll always be the main format in publishing, but I decided to embrace the technology and go forward with eBooks – it’s so easy to publish, and I love the freedom of being able to write something and have it available to buy online a few hours later. Brilliant. I prepare my eBooks myself (although you can hire companies to do this for you), so I really am involved in all aspects of getting the book ready to be published.
Morgen: I did mine too and that was half the fun. Do you have a favourite of your books or characters? If any of your books were made into films, who would you have as the leading actor/s?
Jessica: Beth Powers is my favourite character because it’s her point of view that the Little Forest novels are told from, and like with most other first person narratives, you end up identifying with that character more than with any of the others. I keep wanting to make her this really strong, kick-ass female character but I want to keep the books in the series believable (the novels feature ordinary characters in extraordinary situations). She may well get to the point in the future where she’s a really strong, kick-ass female character, but I think it would take her a while to get to that point. I want the character to grow throughout the novels so the readers can continue identifying with her. If she suddenly started doing crazy martial arts and beating everyone up with no explanation of how she got these skills, it would seem extremely out of place. As far as picking an actress to play Beth, Karen Gillan immediately springs to mind; she already has the right hair for one thing, and she has experience of playing a ‘normal’ girl plunged into a very abnormal world.
Morgen: Kate Beckinsale springs to mind and oh look, she happens to be English. :) Which author(s) would you compare your writing to?
Jessica: I try not to think about other authors and their styles when I’m writing, but there are a few writers who I think have inspired me and must have subconsciously filtered into my work in one way or another. I’ve already mentioned Stephen King, who I think I’ve probably learned tension and suspense from, and I’ve always loved his ability to create entire communities in which to set a lot of his novels, such as his fictional ‘Castle Rock’. I love the way he switches between different characters from the same community, choosing different ones to be the protagonists in each novel or short story. I’ve tried to create a similar kind of community in the ‘Little Forest’ village of my series, as well as the county of Covershire in which Little Forest lies. I’d like to think I’ve taken inspiration from other writers as well, even if it’s just in really subtle ways. Hopefully I’ve injected some humour into my novels, something I love about Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series, and I really admire Chuck Palahniuk’s style of writing – Fight Club is one of my favourite books and movies – and reading his books always makes me want to question and improve my own style more.
Morgen: I have a couple of Janet’s books in my reading pile. They do look like fun. :) Did you have any say in the titles / covers of your books? How important do you think they are?
Jessica: As a self-publisher, I get to have complete creative control so I come up with the titles and the cover designs for all of my books. This doesn’t, however, mean that I actually do the covers myself (I’m handy with a pen but not so much with an artist’s pencil!): my friend Ruth Fry is a great artist and she takes my awfully-drawn designs and descriptions of what I want, and turns them into brilliant pieces of artwork. Then all I have to do is scan in the picture, play around on photoshop for a bit, and it’s done. I had a bit of trouble deciding on the title of my first novel in the Little Forest series, ‘The Former World’, as there’s already a non-fiction book out there with the same name, but the other titles have pretty much written themselves.
Morgen: What are you working on at the moment / next?
Jessica: I’m always working on at least one book of the Little Forest series at any time, whether it’s planning the next one, writing it, editing the previous one, etc etc etc. It never seems to stop but that’s what I love about it. I’ve loosely planned eight novels for the Little Forest series, and after that, I may start on another series, or do some experimenting with other types of books – I love writing short stories so I may release an anthology of those, and I’d like to do a few standalone books as well, without the pressure of having to make them into long series. I’m also working on a book detailing the weird and wonderful experiences I’ve had while travelling – the best part about this is I don’t have to make anything up, I can literally just write what happened. While I love the whole creative process of inventing new characters, places and storylines, it’s nice to have a bit of non-fiction to work on during breaks from fiction. When it’s finished, I’m hoping it will be a nice, humorous bit of entertainment for people who are thinking of going travelling themselves.
Morgen: Do release your short stories. They’re my favourite format to read and I reckon there are many closet shorties like me out there. :) Do you manage to write every day, or ever suffer from writer’s block?
Jessica: I try and write a bit every day if I can, but inevitably there are times when days or weeks go by and I don’t get the chance to write anything. This can be good in some ways as sometimes I need space to step back from a project so I can come back to it with fresh eyes, but as there’s always another project waiting in the wings, I’m rarely waiting around doing nothing. I don’t really get writer’s block, but I do suffer from a condition that’s still ingrained in me since high school and university: the art of procrastination. Especially if you’re self-published and have a lot of internet-based marketing you need to do, it’s easy to get sucked into that for so long that when you’re finished, you don’t feel like writing. I definitely need to be in the right headspace or I know I won’t get the best work done, so it’s not writer’s block as such; I just need to be in the right mood.
Morgen: Danika Dinsmore wrote me a brilliant guest blog post on procrastination which I posted on Tuesday evening… what timing is that? :) Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Memento Mori Cover smallJessica: I plot my stories meticulously. With the first novel I wrote, I’d had no experience with writing something that length (it’s just under 130,000 words), and therefore I was a bit all over the place. I hadn’t at that point decided to make it into a series, and I changed the characters, the plotline, the individual stories, the style and feel of the book so many times that I didn’t know what I was doing anymore. It took an insane amount of editing just to get the ‘new’ story straight in my head every time, and it was a nightmare changing just one tiny thing after the majority of the story had already been written. I learned from my mistakes though, and before I wrote the second, ‘Memento Mori’, I not only planned the entire book, scene by scene, but I planned what I wanted to happen over the entire series, including the very last scenes of the very last book. Now I know exactly what I’m aiming for at the end of the series, and I find the whole writing process a lot quicker and easier. There’s a lot less editing too, which is always good. For short stories, however, I do tend to just ‘get an idea and run with it’. I always have an idea in my head of how the story will end, but inevitably, once I start writing it, it goes off in a completely different direction and I end up finishing it in a totally different way. I love when that happens; it’s like your brain is doing all the work for you, but you’re not really aware of it. If only I could write a novel like that!
Morgen: I started writing a crime series last November and didn’t plan it but ended up (52,000 words later) with a bag of character sketches so when I go back to it (hopefully fairly shortly, I have a mystery to do final edits to and email to my first readers) I’ll write a synopsis (or more like a long outline) for each book and get some shape to it. Of course 52,000 isn’t all that long (especially compared with 130,000!) and I’m not that far into the story so plenty of work to do there. Do you have a method for creating your characters and their names?
Jessica: Some names just come to me as I’m creating a character, and although they don’t mean anything in particular, they just feel right. Some do actually have meanings – Beth’s last name is Powers, for example, something she gets teased about at school because the kids think it must mean she’s a witch. But as ‘The Former World’ and the rest of the novels go on, it becomes clear that she does actually have powers. She even says, ‘my name finally matched my personality,’ so it’s fun to have names to play around with like that. Some names I take from favourite films, TV shows, places etc. Beth’s best friend Veronica Summers is a mix of two things: I love the band ‘The Veronicas’, and I love ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’, whose surname was, of course, Summers. There are also minor characters who take their names from the Buffyverse: Emma Harris (named after Xander Harris) and Willow Star (after Willow Rosenberg). I’ve yet to get a Rupert or Giles in there but it probably won’t be too long before I do. For Will Wolseley I wanted an extremely English name to go along with Beth’s full name, Elizabeth. Prince William got married when I was writing the first novel in the series, so it seemed fitting, and ‘Wolseley Bridge’ is a place near me, named after the Wolseley family. I liked the alliteration of Will Wolseley so his name wasn’t too hard to decide on. I wanted Connor Maguire to be typically Irish, almost stereotypically Irish. I took the ‘Maguire’ from Father Dougal Maguire from the brilliant ‘Father Ted’, one of my all-time favourite TV shows. Tom Durden was named after Tyler Durden from the amazing ‘Fight Club’ – I wanted people, if they got the reference, to already know that he wasn’t everything he seemed to be. A lot of the other names of people in the Little Forest series are names that just scream the countryside – Hannah Green, Rick Wood, Max Rivers, Daniel Fields. Then there’s my ode to tea and cake – Mrs Teasdale and Reverend Kipling.
Morgen: That sounds like so much fun putting it all together. Do you have to do much research for your writing?
Jessica: At the moment, for my Little Forest series, I don’t have to do too much research. There were a few things I needed to know regarding the police force and the decomposition of bodies (nice!), but with a little digging and a bit of help from the internet, it didn’t take too long. As the series continues and I start introducing the overarching storyline more, there will definitely need to be more research done, but at the moment, there is actually very little to do. The village in the series is based on a typical country village in the midlands, something I know a lot about, and the main characters in the series are twenty-something’s with normal jobs, normal friendships, and (almost) normal lives. The not-so-normal aspects of the books are things that I’ve made up for myself. The ideas of the afterlife, ghosts, mediums etc are obviously nothing new, but I’ve created my own versions of them which means that I make up all the rules. This takes a lot of planning on my part, but very little research. No one can pick you up on getting facts wrong when you’re talking about life after death, because who knows anything about it? That’s what I love about writing this series: everything’s up to me and depends only on what I can come up with from my own imagination.
Morgen: What point of view do you find most to your liking: first person or third person? Have you ever tried second person?
Jessica: Pretty much everything I write is first person. I find that the books I enjoy the most are always the ones written in first person, especially if the protagonist is a young woman who I can identify with. Therefore, when I came up with the character of Beth Powers, I knew I had to write her in first person. This way, you start with an ordinary character, a normal village girl, and you only learn what’s happening as Beth learns what’s happening. This makes the reader relate with the character so much more, and it introduces a kind of suspense that you don’t always get with third person, omniscient narrators. The idea of second person is fascinating, and I’d love to try a short story in this point of view – I think I’d find it extremely challenging, but it would be a good exercise to try.
Morgen: Do try it – I have a page which explains it (http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com/2ppov) and gives an extract from my second-person freebie The Dark Side. Do you enter competitions? Are there any you could recommend?
Jessica: I’ve entered a couple of competitions before, and my short story ‘The Mind of the Beast’ was a runner-up in the Cazart online competition. I’d recommend that competition as they accept short stories and flash fiction, in any genre and on any subject. They also publish the winners and runners up in a paperback every three months, so it’s nice to have a physical memento of your success. I’ve stopped entering competitions now, though, as I actually run my own: Darker Times Fiction (http://www.darkertimes.co.uk) accepts short stories up to 5,000 words either in the horror genre or on the theme of ‘darker times’, to be interpreted as the writer wishes! It’s been a great thing to do, as I get to read brilliant short stories that I otherwise wouldn’t have known about, and I get to dish out the good ‘winning feeling’ to authors myself. I also compile the winners, runners up and honourable mentions in Darker Times Anthologies, published through Amazon in the same way as my novels – as eBooks and paperbacks. It’s a lot of work but it’s really rewarding to see the finishing results.
Morgen: It’s sounds great. What advice would you give aspiring writers?
Jessica: I’m always looking for advice myself! I know a lot of people have said this, but I really do believe it: read, read, and read some more. Read things you wouldn’t normally read, read different genres, read non-fiction, read poetry, read instructional books, read academic research. Be inspired by a wide range of writers, figure out what you like about each book or each genre, and try and weave it into your own writing. If you’re writing the same kind of things you enjoy reading, you’re going to enjoy writing so much more, and it’s going to come much easier. There’s also some other advice I heard once that I adhere to: Write like nobody will ever read it. Edit like the whole world will.
Morgen: I love that. I’ve had quite a few authors say they’ll read anything, and remember cereal boxes being mentioned on more than one occasion. If you could invite three people from any era to dinner, who would you choose and what would you cook (or hide the takeaway containers)?
Jessica: As I’m a recent veggie, I’m going to have to be a bit boring and serve vegetarian food! I’m a little bit addicted to goat’s cheese and sweet potatoes, so it would somehow combine those things..! As for the three people, the first one would definitely be Marilyn Monroe. I’m a massive fan and just love her movies and all the iconic photographs of her, and I think it would be really interesting to see what she was like in real life. Second would be Buster Keaton for exactly the same reasons. I’ve seen his films so many times, and actually wrote about him (versus Charlie Chaplin) for my film studies dissertation on comedy, and I know he had a really sad life when he wasn’t being the on-screen clown. I’d like to have met him when he first started out, before all the dodgy marriages and the drink problem. My third person would be Edgar Allan Poe – my favourite poem of all time is ‘The Raven’, and I’d love to be able to ask him about his writing.
Morgen: That doesn’t sound boring at all. I love sweet potatoes. My mum, aunt and ‘uncle’ (a long story) are vegetarian and the food they cook is delicious. Great choices of guests too. If you had to choose a single day from your past to re-live over and over, what day would it be and why?
Jessica: It’s far too difficult to choose one day, am I allowed to choose a year?! As part of my University degree (American Studies and Film Studies at the University of Sussex in Brighton), I spent a year at the University of Colorado in Boulder. It was just amazing. CU’s campus is beyond beautiful, and the whole of Boulder is nestled next to the Flatirons, part of the Rocky Mountain National Park. Gloriously hot in summer with beautiful flowers everywhere, and a glittering snowy wonderland in winter, it was just the most amazing year of my life. I’d recommend a year abroad to anyone, but especially budding writers: you can write about different environments and situations so much easier if you’ve had experiences of living in a different country. That’s what I love about travelling as well, not only is it an amazing, eye-opening experience, it’s also brilliant inspiration for writing.
Morgen: I’d love a year away if it’s at a writers’ retreat, although I would miss home. I’m a ‘home bird’ so writing and I are made for each other. Are there any writing-related websites and / or books that you find useful?
Jessica: For anyone wanting to go down the traditional publishing route, or those who just want to learn more so they can decide what to do (like I did), the ‘Writers & Artist’s Yearbook’ is the best source of information you can get – it has all the listings you’ll ever need for agents, publishers, competitions etc, plus great advice from famous writers. The ‘Writers & Artists Guide to Getting Published’ is also extremely useful. As a Stephen King fan, I’d recommend his book ‘On Writing’ to any aspiring writers (or readers – I read it before I knew I wanted to be a writer and found it fascinating). My favourite literary website is Lit Reactor (http://www.litreactor.com) – great articles, classes and advice for writers and readers alike.
Morgen: I’ve not heard of Lit Reactor but sounds great. ‘On Writing’ is the most recommended book on this blog – it’s great. Are you on any forums or networking sites? If so, how valuable do you find them?
Jessica: I’m on twitter (jessformerworld) and facebook (Jessica Grace Coleman), both of which I find invaluable, especially twitter: how else can you get your message out to that many people? It’s brilliant. I’m on a few kindle forums as well, which is great as it enables me to keep in the loop with eBooks and other self-published authors. There are many more that I haven’t signed up to yet – I just need more time in the day!
Morgen: I’m a member of a couple of dozen (listed on my contact me page) and yes, more time for them all would be great. What do you think the future holds for a writer?
Jessica: I think it’s simultaneously becoming much easier and much harder to be a writer. With the recent popularity of eReaders and sites such as Amazon and their Kindle Direct Publishing, self-publishing has never been easier. Once the writing has been done, it is incredibly quick and easy to get your book listed on Amazon and available to the book-buying public. At the same time, because it’s so easy, there are a lot of people doing it these days, and it’s hard to stand out from the crowd. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to be a full-time writer, but that’s not what it’s all about. I love that people can go online, buy my books, and minutes later, be reading them on their kindles. In a world obsessed with instant gratification, this is a brilliant reason to self-publish! The traditional route may be more stable (although many times, it isn’t anyway), but it can take years to go through the whole process for just one book. I think there will be a lot more self-publishing in the future, and it’s exciting to be a part of that.
Morgen: I’ve technically been a full-time writer since mid-March 2012 but have done little writing (mostly dealing with blog-related emails and blogging) but that’s all going to change this year (I have five unedited / unfinished novels yelling at me!). Where can we find out about you and your writing?
Jessica: You can find my blog at http://www.jessicagracecoleman.com which has links to all of my writing. You can also contact me via email at jessica.grace.coleman@gmail.com, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/JessicaGraceColeman or on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jessformerworld. You can type ‘Jessica Grace Coleman’ into Amazon to find my books and author page, and you can also find out more about me at http://www.darkertimes.co.uk.
Morgen: Is there anything else you’d like to mention?
Jessica: Just thank you for the interview, really! And if there are any short story writers out there, I encourage you to enter my Darker Times Fiction competition at http://www.darkertimes.co.uk. All stories from winners, runners up and honourable mentions will be included in a Darker Times Anthology along with a brief author biography.
Morgen: Yes do, folks. <note to self… enter Jessica’s competition!). Is there anything you’d like to ask me?
Jessica: What keeps you motivated to keep your website going? It seems like such a large amount of work! Do you have any time-management tips or tricks?
Morgen: <laughs> Having so many people asking keeps me and it going (and I’m grateful to everyone who asks or accepts my requests). It is a lot of work; a full-time job and then some (I’m used to voluntary work, I’ve been a British Red Cross ‘book lady’ for nearly seven years). :) Time management is not getting enough sleep (I should try harder!) but I keep track with a wonderful multi-coloured Word table which I cross-reference with all the schedules on the individual blog pages. I was also a secretary for 20-something years so I type quickly and am well-organised. Thank you, Jessica.
I then invited Jessica to provide an extract of her writing and this is from ‘The Former World: A Little Forest Novel’…
Sometimes, 'impossible' is just an excuse.
It is a convenient defence for the billions of people worldwide who just refuse to believe their own eyes. These people go out of their way to make sure they don't believe. They ignore what's right in front of them in favour of a logical explanation, they pretend to miss the unmissable, they try and rationalise even the most bizarre of occurrences.
How do I know this?
I used to be one of them.
I used to put bumps in the night down to the house settling, shadows in the corner of the room were just my imagination, wailing screams in the night were just the wind.
I played this game with myself for years, but I didn't win.
Sometimes, impossible is just an excuse.
I say 'sometimes' because, more often than not, the bumps in the night will be the house settling, shadows will be your imagination, and unearthly wails will be the wind. Sometimes, they will be something else entirely; I learned this the hard way.
I don’t expect everyone to believe my story anymore than I expect them to suddenly start trusting their own instincts and accepting what’s right in front of them. For most people, this will never happen. They won’t let it happen. But for those who find that the following pages conjure up familiar feelings, resurrect cryptic childhood memories, or make your stomach churn with reluctant acknowledgement, I urge you to open your mind up to the possibility that my tale, like many others before me, is true.
Sometimes, you need to look past the impossible and see the world as it really is.
Sometimes, you just need to believe.
And a synopsis and this is from the same story…
Twenty-one year old Beth Powers is fed up with living in the tiny, gossip-fuelled village of Little Forest and resolves to escape to London with best friend, Veronica Summers. That is, until the body of Beth's colleague Emma Harris is found in the nearby woods, setting off the small community's well-oiled rumour mill. Beth soon finds herself in the middle of a bizarre village conspiracy: was Emma's death really accidental? Why are Beth's nearest and dearest cutting her out of their lives? And what does it all have to do with the conveniently-timed arrival of handsome new resident, Connor Maguire?
With the help of new ally Will Wolseley, Beth delves into the village's sinister secrets and uncovers a terrifying truth about herself that could change her life forever.
Will Beth decide to leave her childhood home for good? And, more importantly, will Little Forest let her go?
**
Jessica Grace Coleman was born in Stafford, England and raised in the nearby village of Little Haywood, a quaint English location that would later be remodelled into Beth Powers' home village in the Little Forest novels.
She studied Film Studies and American Studies at the University of Sussex in Brighton, and attended the University of Colorado at Boulder for a year as part of her course. A big fan of travelling, she has road tripped around North America and backpacked across China, South East Asia, Australia, and New Zealand.
Jessica also runs a monthly short-story competition, Darker Times Fiction, which focuses on finding new and exciting horror writers. Compilations of these works are available as Darker Times Horror Anthology ebooks and paperbacks.
When not writing about ghouls and ghosts, Jessica edits Rock Pulse, an online UK music zine, and has had the pleasure of interviewing many bands and artists in the past including The Darkness, InMe, Simple Plan, Bowling for Soup, HIM, Sugarcult, Less Than Jake, Yellowcard, Taking Back Sunday and Funeral for a Friend.
***
If you are reading this and you write, in whatever genre, and are thinking “ooh, I’d like to do this” then you can… just email me and I’ll send you the information. They do now (January 2013) carry a fee (£10 / €12.50 / $15) for the new interviews on this blog but everything else (see Opportunities on this blog) is free.
Alternatively, if you’d like a free Q&A-only interview, I now have http://morgensauthorinterviews.wordpress.com on which I’ve rerun the original interviews posted here then posted new interviews which I then reblog here. These interviews are Q&A only, so I don’t add in my comments but they do get exposure on both sites.
If you go for the interview, it’s very simple; I send you a questionnaire (I have them for novelists, short story authors, children’s authors, non-fiction authors, and poets). You complete the questions, and I let you know when it’s going to go live. Before it does so, I add in comments as if we’re chatting, and then they get posted. When that’s done, I email you with the link so you can share it with your corner of the literary world. And if you have a writing-related blog / podcast and would like to interview me… let me know.
** NEW!! You can now subscribe to this blog on your Kindle / Kindle app!
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything. You can contact me and find me on the internetview my Books (including my debut novel, which is being serialised on Novel Nights In!) and I also have a blog creation / maintenance service especially for, but not limited to, writers. If you like this blog, you can help me keep it running by donating and choose an optional free eBook.
For writers / readers willing to give feedback and / or writers wanting feedback, take a look at this blog’s Feedback page.
As I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t unfortunately review books but I have a list of those who do. I welcome items for critique for the online writing groups listed below:
Morgen’s Online Non-Fiction Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Novel Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Poetry Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Script Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Short Story Writing Group
We look forward to reading your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this interview and leaving a comment - we are all very grateful.