Author Interviews

* you can find the original interviews and much more on my 'everything writing' blog (http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com), including author spotlights, guest posts, book reviews, flash fiction or poetry - new items posted 6am UK time Monday to Saturday and writing exercises at 6pm very weekday.

Friday, 15 March 2013

Author interview with Sarah V Richard (revisited)


Back in February 2013, I interviewed author Sarah V Richard for my interview-only WordPress blog. I hope you enjoy it...

Welcome to my blog interviews with novelists, poets, short story authors, scriptwriters, biographers, agents, publishers and more. Today’s is with children's author Sarah V Richard. A list of interviewees (blogged and scheduled) can be found here. If you like what you read, please do go and investigate further.
Morgen: Hello, Sarah. Please tell us something about yourself, where you’re based, and how you came to be a writer.
????????????Sarah: I am originally from New Orleans, LA, but I lived in Baltimore, MD for six years and now in Jackson, MS for two years.  I have a really screwed up accent now.
Morgen: Oh dear. I don’t think most Brits would know where you’re from anyway, to us an American accent is any actor appearing in Dallas. :) You write children’s books, was there a reason to choose this genre?
Sarah: Most of my children’s books are through www.diskuspublishing.com/sarahrichard.html.  After I studied elementary education in graduate school, I became interested in writing fun stories for children that weren’t boring, but made them laugh.  Five Little Duckies, for example, has a surprise joke at the end!
My latest release is for young adults, however.  It is very suspenseful, and the goal of this story, Locked, was to make readers JUMP! http://www.wildchildpublishing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=402
Morgen: What have you had published to-date?
Sarah: Besides the children’s and young adult stories, I have written workbooks for teachers.  How I Taught My Kids to Read is available at http://www.everythinghomeschooling.com/Ebook_store.aspx
Morgen: What age group do you write for?
Sarah: Everyone – I like to write a wide variety of things.  It keeps my mind active.
Morgen: Do you think it’s easier writing for children than adults?
Sarah: Hmm… it takes a lot more time to write for adults.
Morgen: Do you get a second opinion on your stories before they’re published – if so from adults, children or both?
Sarah: The editors, ha!
Morgen: Do you have any tips for anyone thinking about writing for children?
Sarah: Marketing is hard... so very hard!
Morgen: It is. It’s usually the answer to ‘What’s your least favourite aspect of your writing life?’ Have you self-published? If so, what lead to you going your own way?
Sarah: No, I am signed with several different publishers: DiskUs, Everything Homeschooling, Wild Child, and a couple of others.
Morgen: Are your books available as eBooks?
Sarah: I believe eBooks are the wave of the future, so my books are all eBooks.
Morgen: Do you have a favourite of your books or characters? If any of your books were made into films, who would you have as the leading actor/s?
LockedwebSarah: Locked was actually written as a low budget screenplay, but it found a home as an eBook.  The four characters are locked away in a house...they may or may not survive.  Maybe we can just throw the cast of Real Housewives in there and see what happens.
Morgen: That would be fun. Did you have any say in the title / cover of your book?
Sarah: Yes, I love the cover for Locked.  It is great!
Morgen: I like it, especially the title font. What are you working on at the moment / next?
Sarah: Locked II... the story isn’t over!
Morgen: Do you manage to write every day, or ever suffer from writer’s block?
Sarah: I suffer from writer’s overload.  Make the voices stop...
Morgen: <laughs> Me too, although I don’t want them to stop, just the clock to slow down. Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?
Sarah: Run with it... but ultimately it has to be organized and plotted.
Morgen: Thank you, Sarah.
I then invited Sarah to provide a synopsis of her novel…
Tristan’s old home old home is not what it appears, and her friends have no idea what this visit will turn into. When the room Tristan’s mother always kept locked is opened, chaos breaks loose. One by one, they are locked away.
Will anyone survive?
*
??????????After studying elementary education in graduate school, Sarah became interested in writing for children.  She enjoys infusing her writing with humor and making readers laugh.  Several short stories are available for sale at www.diskuspublishing.com/sarahrichard.html for the emerging reader's ebook reader!  Everything Homeschooling has published a workbook series written by Sarah that outlines step by step how she taught reading, but the older teens are not left out with an enticing suspense story, Locked, through Wild Child Publishing.  More information can be found, along with Sarah’s Virtual Story Café, at www.sarahvrichard.zoomshare.com and Locked is available from http://www.wildchildpublishing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=402.
***
If you are reading this and you write, in whatever genre, and are thinking “ooh, I’d like to do this” then you can… just email me and I’ll send you the information. They do now (January 2013) carry a fee (£10 / €12.50 / $15) for the new interviews on this blog but everything else (see Opportunities on the main blog) is free.
Alternatively, if you’d like a free Q&A-only interview, I now have this blog, http://morgensauthorinterviews.wordpress.com, on which I’ve rerun the original interviews posted here then posted new interviews which I then reblog here. These interviews are Q&A only, so I don’t add in my comments but they do get exposure on both sites.
If you go for the interview, it’s very simple; I send you a questionnaire (I have them for novelists, short story authors, children’s authors, non-fiction authors, and poets). You complete the questions, and I let you know when it’s going to go live. Before it does so, I add in comments as if we’re chatting, and then they get posted. When that’s done, I email you with the link so you can share it with your corner of the literary world. And if you have a writing-related blog / podcast and would like to interview me… let me know.
** NEW!! You can now subscribe to the main blog on your Kindle / Kindle app!
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything. You can contact me and find me on the internetview my Books (including my debut novel, which is serialised on Novel Nights In!) and I also have a blog creation / maintenance service especially for, but not limited to, writers. If you like this blog, you can help me keep it running by donating and choose an optional free eBook.
For writers / readers willing to give feedback and / or writers wanting feedback, take a look at the main blog’s Feedback page.
As I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t unfortunately review books but I have a list of those who do. I welcome items for critique for the online writing groups, and their associated Facebook groups, listed below:
Morgen’s Online Non-Fiction Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Novel Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Poetry Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Script Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Short Story Writing Group
We look forward to reading your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this interview and leaving a comment - we are all very grateful.