Author Interviews

* you can find the original interviews and much more on my 'everything writing' blog (http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com), including author spotlights, guest posts, book reviews, flash fiction or poetry - new items posted 6am UK time Monday to Saturday and writing exercises at 6pm very weekday.

Sunday, 20 January 2013

Author interview no.541 with writer and White House correspondent Fred Lucas (revisited)


Back in November 2012, I interviewed author Fred Lucas for my WordPress blog. I hope you enjoy it...
Welcome to the five hundred and forty-first of my blog interviews with novelists, poets, short story authors, biographers, agents, publishers and more. Today’s is with non-fiction author Fred Lucas. A list of interviewees (blogged and scheduled) can be found here. If you like what you read, please do go and investigate further.
Morgen: Hello, Fred. It’s great that you could join me today. Please tell us something about yourself.
Fred: I am the White House correspondent for CNSNews.com, and have reported on politics for more than a dozen years.
Morgen: You write non-fiction, how do you decide what to write about?
Fred: As a news reporter, I generally write about breaking events. During that time, the political impact of talk radio was evident, and I wanted to explore the roots of that. It is not something that can be explored in a short article, or even a long article. And considering the popularity of political talk radio, I thought it would produce a lot of interest.
Morgen: Is your book, The Right Frequency, available as an eBook? Do you read eBooks or is it paper all the way?
Fred: Yes. It’s available on Kindle. And yes, I read e-books. But I haven’t given up on the old fashioned books yet.
Morgen: Very few people I’ve spoken to have. Most are like me, where I read paper books at home but take my iPad with me when I go away. Did you have any say in the titles / covers of your books? How important do you think they are?
Fred: I did have a say in the title. There were some suggestions between myself and History Publishing Company. I’m happy to say they went with my suggestion. It wasn’t my first suggestion, and the give and take helped improve on the title I had considered.
Morgen: I think it’s vital to have a second opinion on anything, especially editing the writing, because we’re always too close and as the cliché goes, two heads are better than one. Apart from spotting anomalies, my editor and first readers come up with some great suggestions, which clearly worked for you too. Do you manage to write every day? Do you ever suffer from writer’s block?
Fred: I spent about nine months writing the book, and never really suffered writer’s block. It was so much fun to research and write about all these interesting characters that have dominated the airwaves for so many decades. The remarkable thing about talk radio is that it not only survived but thrived during so many different media revolutions.
Morgen: They said when the television came out that it would threaten the existence of cinema and, although it’s had a bumpy ride over the years it’s thriving now too. With so many gadgets on which to watch, read and listen it’s a great time to be an author, reader, viewer. Thank you again so much for taking time out for myself and my readers. It’s much appreciated.
I then invited Fred to provide a synopsis of his book…
American politics was transformed from the time a WABC manager told Rush Limbaugh, "You're kidding yourself if you think we'll ever carry your national show," to the day an establishment Republican senator griped "talk radio is running America." Limbaugh ignited a new generation of talkers such as Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck helping to define the Conservative movement. But Rush can't take all the credit, the story begins much earlier. It began with Walter Winchell and Bob Grant. This is the remarkable story.
***
Fred Lucas, the White House correspondent for CNSNews.com. He is also a contributing editor for Townhall Magazine and has written for The Weekly Standard, The American Spectator, Human Events, The Washington Times and the New York Post. Before going to Washington, he reported on state capitols in Kentucky and Connecticut. He earned his Master's at Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and Bachelor's at Western Kentucky University. He lives in Fredericksburg, Va. with his wife Basia.
***
If you are reading this and you write, in whatever genre, and are thinking “ooh, I’d like to do this” then you can… just email me and I’ll send you the questions. You complete them, I tweak them where appropriate (if necessary to reflect the blog ‘clean and light’ rating) and then they get posted. When that’s done, I email you with the link so you can share it with your corner of the literary world. And if you have a writing-related blog / podcast and would like to interview me… let me know.
** NEW!! You can now subscribe to this blog on your Kindle / Kindle app!
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything. You can contact me and find me on the internetview my Books (including my debut novel!) and I also have a blog creation / maintenance service especially for, but not limited to, writers. If you like this blog, you can help me keep it running by donating and choose an optional free eBook.
For writers / readers willing to give feedback and / or writers wanting feedback, take a look at this blog’s Feedback page.
As I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t unfortunately review books but I have a list of those who do, and a feature called ‘Short Story Saturdays’ where I review stories of up to 2,500 words (and post stories of up to 3,000 words). Alternatively if you have a short story or self-contained novel extract / short chapter (ideally up to 1000 words) that you’d like critiqued and don’t mind me posting it online in my new Red Pen Critique Sunday night posts, then do email me. I am now also looking for flash fiction (<1000 words) for Flash Fiction Fridays and poetry for Post-weekend Poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this interview and leaving a comment - we are all very grateful.