Author Interviews

* you can find the original interviews and much more on my 'everything writing' blog (http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com), including author spotlights, guest posts, book reviews, flash fiction or poetry - new items posted 6am UK time Monday to Saturday and writing exercises at 6pm very weekday.

Thursday, 17 January 2013

Author interview no.535 with writer Jeanne Buesser (revisited)


Back in October 2012, I interviewed author Jeanne Buesser for my WordPress blog. I hope you enjoy it...
Welcome to the five hundred and thirty-fifth of my blog interviews with novelists, poets, short story authors, biographers, agents, publishers and more. Today’s is with poet and non-fiction author Jeanne Buesser. A list of interviewees (blogged and scheduled) can be found here. If you like what you read, please do go and investigate further.
Morgen: Hello, Jeanne. Please tell us something about yourself, where you’re based, and how you came to be a writer.
Jeanne:  I am based in the Eastern part of the US. I didn’t know I could write poetry. It came to me after my oldest son passed away.
Morgen: That’s terrible. Sorry to hear that, Jeanne. I found writing one of my novels very therapeutic but it wasn’t as bad an experience as that. Do you write poetry to form or as it comes?
Jeanne:  I write as it comes. Yes.
Morgen: Do you generally write rhyming or free verse?
Jeanne:  It comes out as both.
Morgen: I love that. I only tend to write fiction (poetry for writing group prompts) but my favourite aspect is not knowing what will come out. What have you had published to-date?
Jeanne:  I have two collections: Moonlight Till Dawn and Journey from Darkness to Light, both available as paperbacks on CreateSpace, Barnes and Noble, and Amazon.
Morgen: More and more authors are self-publishing these days and are very happy doing so. Have you had any rejections?
Jeanne: No, I haven’t submitted them anywhere. I decided to self publish them.
Morgen: It’s certainly easier to do. Do you have an editor / agent?
Jeanne:  I don’t have an agent. But having a good editor helps.
Morgen: Vital, I would say. We’re always too close to our own work. How much of the marketing do you do for your published works or indeed for yourself as a ‘brand’?
Jeanne:  I feel you have to do it yourself.
Morgen: You do, even as established writers. Do you have a favourite of your poems or topic to write about?
Jeanne:  I talk about my journey as I go through it.
Morgen: In my fiction I tend to write about what I don’t know (often killing off some of my characters) but tend to stick closer to home with poetry, the medium lends itself more I think. What are you working on at the moment / next?
Jeanne: Another poetry book, then maybe my own story.
Morgen: Autobiographies are very popular, perhaps you’d like to come back for an author spotlight if you do that (or come back anyway, of course). Why do you think poetry is such a difficult market to break into?
Jeanne:  Many don’t know how much to charge for a book price maybe.
Morgen: It must be hard because I know some poets who spend month on one poem, as long as novelists do on one story. A 40-page book would therefore have as much worth as a doorstop novel. Are there any tips you could give to someone wishing to write poetry?
Jeanne:  Have other look over your work. Maybe pay an editor to clean it up.
Morgen: Yes, definitely. This is often where self-publishing has fallen down – because it’s so easy, some writers hurry and just want to get their work out there. Unfortunately then the reviews can often reflect that. Do you write any fiction, non-fiction or short stories?
Jeanne: Yes my non-fiction book, He Talks Funny.
Morgen: :) Do you do a lot of editing of your poems or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully-formed?
Jeanne:  I don’t edit them much at all. It is how it comes out.
Morgen: But then you have your editor. I used to write a lot of 60-word stories and found the more I wrote the closer they came out to the word count. It’s obviously not a direct comparison but do you find your poems come out at similar lengths, or does they really vary.
Jeanne:  It varies either short or not.
Morgen: What’s your favourite favourite aspect of your writing life?
Jeanne: How it just comes out.
Morgen: Me too. What advice would you give aspiring poets?
Jeanne: Never give up.
Morgen: Absolutely. They say a successful writer is one who didn’t give up. If you could invite three people from any era to dinner, who would you choose?
Jeanne: Robert Frost, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emily Dickenson
Morgen: Is there a word, phrase or quote you like?
Jeanne:  To thine own self be true.
Morgen: We should. What do you do when you’re not writing?
Jeanne: Reading, bowling, Raising my kids.
Morgen: Are you on any forums or networking sites? If so, how valuable do you find them?
Jeanne: linkedin, I go on the internet. They are very useful.
Morgen: LinkedIn’s probably how we ‘met’. As well as Facebook and Twitter, it’s one of my favourites although perhaps more ‘useful’ in answering specific queries, or in my case when I was running low on interviewees last February, appeals. What do you think the future holds for a writer?
Jeanne: A different way of getting the public to read material.
Morgen: And much quicker. Where can we find out about you and your work?
Jeanne: www.JeanneBuesser.com and my books are available on CreateSpace (Moonlight Till Dawn https://www.createspace.com/3729684 and Journey from Darkness to Light https://www.createspace.com/3706672), Barnes and Noble, and Amazon too.
I also have events listed on the calendar on my website, and on Facebook. I also have my events (including photographs) on authorsden.com. I will be speaking as the ASAH convention in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on the East Coast on Nov 15th 2013. It was canceled previously because of Hurricane Sandy last year and rescheduled. 
Morgen: Is there anything else you’d like to mention?
Jeanne: People can visit my webpage to see a sample of my poetry. Thank you for helping others to get awareness.
Morgen: You’re very welcome, thank you for joining me.
***
If you are reading this and you write, in whatever genre, and are thinking “ooh, I’d like to do this” then you can… just email me and I’ll send you the questions. You complete them, I tweak them where appropriate (if necessary to reflect the blog ‘clean and light’ rating) and then they get posted. When that’s done, I email you with the link so you can share it with your corner of the literary world. And if you have a writing-related blog / podcast and would like to interview me… let me know.
** NEW!! You can now subscribe to this blog on your Kindle / Kindle app!
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything. You can contact me and find me on the internetview my Books (including my debut novel!) and I also have a blog creation / maintenance service especially for, but not limited to, writers. If you like this blog, you can help me keep it running by donating and choose an optional free eBook.
For writers / readers willing to give feedback and / or writers wanting feedback, take a look at this blog’s Feedback page.
As I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t unfortunately review books but I have a list of those who do, and a feature called ‘Short Story Saturdays’ where I review stories of up to 2,500 words (and post stories of up to 3,000 words). Alternatively if you have a short story or self-contained novel extract / short chapter (ideally up to 1000 words) that you’d like critiqued and don’t mind me posting it online in my new Red Pen Critique Sunday night posts, then do email me. I am now also looking for flash fiction (<1000 words) for Flash Fiction Fridays and poetry for Post-weekend Poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this interview and leaving a comment - we are all very grateful.